Create bird feeders with the kids using everyday recycled materials in your blue bins! Reuse a pop bottle, an empty can, an egg carton or toilet paper rolls!
- Clean, empty 2L plastic bottles
- X-Acto Knife
- Duct Tape
- Bird Seed
- Screw or Nail to poke holes
- Carefully cut an empty pop bottle in half using an x-acto knife
- Place duct tape around the top perimeter of the bottle (We found that once we cut the bottle in half, the edges were quite sharp- duct tape softens the edges for the birds)
- Poke two holes on either side of the bottle close to the top using a sharp nail or screw.
- Loop string through both holes and tie a knot to create a hanger for your bird feeder.
- Coat the inside of the bottle with Crisco (This helps the bird seed to not fall out or blow out in the wind)
- Scoop bird seed into your new bird feeder and hang outside!
Beware most bird seed contains peanuts, if there are allergies make sure to purchase NUT FREE bird seed!
# of people: Individual, Partner or Group
Difficulty Level: Simple
Time: 10-15 minutes